a new venture

Apr 13, 2022

I understand Judas and I look forward to meeting him when I get to heaven.

He was not a bad man (that perfume could have been sold and the money given to the poor), but he often put his own interests first, (helping himself to the common purse) and wanted to be in the “in” group (what will you give me if I hand him over to you).

Jesus, knowing Judas through and through, was prepared to give him a chance naming him as one of his closest friends.

There’s a lot in Judas that I can relate to.

While the focus of this Holy Week is Jesus, many others representing every part of ourselves have their exits and their entrances.

Most of them, like me, like Judas, fumbling along, some remembered for their best moments, others for their worst, each playing a part which divine mercy labours to turn to the good.

My paternal grandparents were married almost a century ago and the lasting wedding-day story in the family is the one-sentence advice the priest gave to Grandma and Grandad in his homily:

“Do your best, and leave the rest to God”.

You might find this story helpful. I am sure they all did their best and left the rest, and that’s why God chose them.

Dear Sir:

Thank you for submitting the resumes of the twelve men you have picked for managerial positions in your new organisation. All of them have now taken our battery of tests; and we have not only run the results through our computer, but also arranged personal interviews for each of them with our psychologist and vocational aptitude consultant.

The profiles of all tests are included, and you will want to study each of them carefully.

As part of our service, we make some general comments for your guidance, much as an auditor will include some general statements. This is given as a result of staff consultation, and comes without any additional fee.

It is the staff opinion that most of your nominees are lacking in background, education and vocational aptitude for the type of enterprise you are undertaking. They do not have the team concept. We would recommend that you continue your search for persons of experience in managerial ability and proven capability.

Simon Peter is emotionally unstable and given to fits of temper. Andrew has absolutely no qualities of leadership. The two brothers, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, place personal interest above company loyalty. Thomas demonstrates a questioning attitude that would tend to undermine morale. We feel that it is our duty to tell you that Matthew had been blacklisted by the Greater Jerusalem Better Business Bureau; James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus definitely have radical leanings, and they both registered a high score on the manic-depressive scale.

One of the candidates, however, shows great potential. He is a man of ability and resourcefulness, meets people well, has a keen business mind, and has contacts in high places. He is highly motivated, ambitious, and responsible. We recommend Judas Iscariot as your controller and right-hand man. All of the other profiles are self-explanatory.

We wish you every success in your new venture.

Sincerely,

Jordan Management Consultants

1. Thankyou John for todays reflection. I appreciated the humility and honesty in comparison to Judas and feel sure we can all identify with the characteristics of the apostles. Today I chuckled heartily with the feedback provided on God’s chosen by ‘The Board’. I also loved the sound advice given to your Grandparents on their wedding day. Advice we can all take to heart and emulate.

2. Here I am Lord, choose me!

3. The letter is very good. The apostles certainly had failings just like us. The idea that Judas would be the best man for the job certainly rings true in today’s values of worshipping money above all else!

4. Dear Jordan Management Consultants
    Thank you for your input and advice regarding candidates for my new venture. It is a hard labour market at the moment, and highly qualified people are hard to come by. I’ll accept them all and with a bit of teaching and training I’m sure we will be successful. Thank you for your advice regarding Judas, I will keep a close eye on him.
    Regards
    Jesus Christ
    Formation of the Kingdom Limited.co

Thank you Father John for all your Lent reflections.

5. I need to remember that I am a forgiven sinner!, can I have a place on your team Jesus?

6. The advice to your grandparents. Will be my mantra from now on! Easter blessings & gratitude to you Fr John

7. Thank you so much for your reflection Fr John. Just this morning, I was considering the plight of Judas, and felt by trying to give the money back he was sorry and had repenbted. Like you, I look forward to meeting him in Heaven too. It is so easy to make mistakes. It is harder to accept our faults and say sorry. Easter blessings on you Fr John and all you are involved in.

8. Hi Father John
    Thank you for all your inspirational and very interesting reflections on the gospel readings which I have enjoyed and shared with family and friends.
    I always wonder whenever I come across reading about Judas Iscariot that was it not the will of the Father for his part in the crucifixion? We do our best and the rest is with God! Agreed

9. To me your insights on the role of Judas have provoked a profound shift in my understanding of the players and their roles – thank you for sharing this ! I also take great hope and comfort in the words ““Do your best, and leave the rest to God”. Wishing you restful and god filled Easter

Your email address will not be published.