airport musing

Feb 26, 2023

I’m writing this reflection at Wellington airport after a day with an inspiring group, reflecting together on Pope Francis’ liturgy letter Desiderio Desideravi published in June of last year. It’s my role with the National Liturgy Office that leads me, along with the NLO co-director Catherine Gibbs, to offer these formation sessions across the country.

That document title Desiderio Desideravi is a challenging tongue twister. I’ve practiced saying it aloud and every now and then can fluke it right. But more often I stumble and settle for the English translation which is the words of Jesus speaking at the Last Supper: “I have greatly desired to eat this Passover with you”.

Then to make the point in the session I stressed that this is not me saying to Jesus I want to eat with you, but Jesus saying to me I really really really want to eat with you John.

Wow. That is profound. In short it’s not about me and what I want – but its about Jesus is desiring me.

Again, WOW.

Take a moment to let that sink in. Perhaps say aloud now: This is Jesus speaking to you (add your own name). I want to eat with you. I want to chat with you. I really want to spend time with you (add your own name again).

Now repeat those words of Jesus to you.

Now say it again for a third time.

I’m in the airport waiting at the gate and feeling a bit self-conscious so I’m whispering this new mantra very quietly, but I think I’m still getting the point.

Today’s scriptures for the First Sunday of Lent do have a focus on sin entering the world and the temptations of Jesus, and no doubt most homilies today will focus on these themes – my temptations and my sins. But the deeper invitation is to focus not on ourselves or anything we have done bad or good, but on Jesus who really really really wants to eat to us, to chat with us, to spend time with us.

I’m looking around now at the other travellers waiting for their flights. I can’t begin to imagine the complex situations they are travelling too or from, or the stuff that is keeping each of them awake on an evening flight.

Imagine if we all digested the fact that…

…The Lord God fashioned humans of dust from the soil. Then breathed into their nostrils a breath of life, and thus each human became a living being.

And that’s how I came to be, not because of my desire or my work but because of the desire of the divine who really really really wanted to embrace me eternally.

Wow!

1. Wow!

2. John that is superb!! Thank you.

3. A beautiful reflection today John which really speaks to me. It is a WOW!

4. Thank you John. I love that idea of turning it around off instead of my putting my needs that Jesus is inviting me to dine with him. Wow! does encompass the thought

5. Thanks John. So many homilies right now use lent to drive us into the mud with a “.milstone” of sin on our shoulders. Yes we are sinful but thankfully Redeemed. I like to think of Jesus lifting us up in embrace and inviting us to supp and talk with Him, always but more focused during these contemplative days of Lent.

6. Thank you for your words Fr John.
    As I am slowly reading Thomas Merton’s book – ‘A Book of Hours’ he too is telling me that Jesus really really really want to eat with me. Every day in the book is difference, but many of the messages are similar, Lectio Divina.
    Praise be to God. SKJ

7. A great reflection and so very uplifting. Thank you John

8. Well done John – May I suggest that we find it difficult to accept that other human beings love us – is it because we have such a low opinion of ourselves as we carry the burden of ill-defined sin? So when a loving Saviour steps into our lives we find it tough that he would love us even though we want him to – desperately. We need more encouragement to accept his love – as you give in this reflection.

on the journey

on the journey

Today’s palm branch procession, and reading of the passion of Jesus signals our move into Holy Week.
It is helpful to see these days before Easter as a week of retreat. While we continue our family and work routines, our focus is guided beyond.
In these days let us look together to Jesus.

yes to laughter

yes to laughter

I’ve been moving about a bit in recent weeks, across the country and further afield. I don’t enjoy the travel since planes are not designed for people of my height. But I love being with the people I end up with after a journey of any length.

the seduction

the seduction

Don’t get down when you hear today’s first reading.
Jeremiah is having a bad day. He’s a bit overwhelmed with the negative response he is getting when he passes God’s message to the people. In short, Jeremiah is having a Jeremiad.

I AM

I AM

I try not to repeat these daily Lenten posts year to year but there are times when the same scriptures pop up annually and I realise that I can’t write it better than I did last year. Today is one such day, not only because of the thought I share but even more in the comments that are added by FFF readers. Today I have left some of last year’s comments helping us to appreciate the power of today’s readings.

my word your home

my word your home

The heart of the home in years past was the hearth.
It was at the hearth that the family gathered for the warmth and light of the flame and the food that was prepared there.
The fire was treated with respect since the same flame which provided energy for the home could just as easily destroy it.