tempted ?

Feb 18, 2018

You might have heard the one about the Abbot who asked the novice if he had been entertaining temptations.

“No” the novice replied, “I haven’t been entertaining temptations. They have been entertaining me”.

In today’s Sunday gospel Jesus is tempted. I appreciate that reminder helping me to remember that when I am being tempted I am experiencing something that Jesus went through.

We often think that our temptations are directly opposed to what our better selves think we should be doing. This is rarely the case. Usually a temptation is an attraction in the right direction, the direction of something that is very good. The problem is that the temptation is convincing us that a taste is enough to satisfy our full hunger. If we give in to temptation we grasp at what is immediately available rather than keeping our vision on the ultimate goal of the desire.

We become convinced that a lie about a situation will resolve the conflict, but a lie always makes the matter worse.

We think that a bad word about another will fix the tension that exists in our relationship, but speaking ill of others can never help.

I think that my stress will be gone forever if I open another bottle, but when we come to tomorrow we feel even worse before.

I begin to believe that a sexual dalliance will satisfy my need for intimacy, but an hour later or the morning after we feel regret and a deeper longing for our real goal true friendship, intimacy and love.

Whenever we give in to temptation we are treating ourselves very badly.

A helpful definition of sin might be sin as a settling for anything that is incapable of delivering what it promises.

A temptation always involves a lie. The tempter convinces me that if I speak this word or take this action, then I will find the happiness that I seek, but our experience tells us that this is never the reality. Sin always leaves the healthy person feeling more empty, more angry and more lonely.

A goal for the day:

Try today to be aware of every temptation you experience through the day, and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you your deeper desire. Then hold out for this hearts desire without being distracted by the tempting lies carrying false promises of happiness.

+++

An extra.

You might find this video first published a couple of years ago helpful:

1. Thank you John. Food for thought and action. I will use the acronomyn HALT.
    Phil

2. Your joke made me smile and it reminded me of something, amusing but true, that I read years ago – “Opportunity knocks on the door but Temptation leans on the doorbell”.

3. The acronym HALT is helpful, for those are the times in my life when the devil wins.

4. When tempted ….. pray the “Holy Mary” until the temptation passes….

5. HALT makes it sound so simple

6. HALT will make a big difference to my life – thank you.

Ascension

Ascension

Most people think of the Ascension of Jesus as being a ‘departure’ moment. Jesus was here and now he is gone. We imagine Jesus going up into the clouds and the disciples waving farewell from below.
This is an unhelpful image.
It is essential that we understand what does happen and what does not happen in the Ascension event.
It would be easy to wrongly think that in his ministry showed us how to build the city of God on earth, and now he has gone and the mission is left to us.

touching the sacred

touching the sacred

A few years ago I was on Rēkohu Chatham Islands for what has become one of Aotearoa New Zealand’s most sacred days, the ANZAC day of remembrance in gratitude for those who gave their lives, their health, their youth, their service that we may live in peace.
The art above was produced by one of the students at the local Te One school.

every which way

every which way

A good number of Food For Faith readers have discovered one of the more recent FFF initiatives, the weekly Homily Studio.
The recording of this half-hour podcast is one of the highlights of my week.

in the room

in the room

Today’s reflection marks the end of the FFF Lent-to-Easter daily email posts. Thank you for your company on this journey.  While these daily posts (for those who have signed up for the Lent / Advent reflections at this link) will take a break until Advent, those who have signed up to receive every post or regular posts at this link.  You might take a moment now to visit this page now to check your email preferences.

During retreat this week I found myself pondering just how difficult it is to accept that God, in Jesus, is really with me today.

disciplined discipleship

disciplined discipleship

As I write I’m nearing the end of retreat days with a group of fifty priests from across the USA.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago the diversity and youth of the group is remarkable with the majority being aged under 40 and a good number ordained for fewer than five years.