choosing life

Feb 27, 2020

“If you wish to come after me, you must deny yourself
and take up your cross daily and follow me.”

Many of you will know that I have a new job this year, as Spiritual Director at our national seminary for Aotearoa New Zealand Holy Cross Seminary. The students arrived at the start of this month and are now well into their year of formation.

I well remember driving into the seminary for the first time as a new student. That was a few years ago and the seminary was then in the south of the country with a large marble statue of Jesus carrying his cross out the driveway. For twenty years now this statue has been in a prominent position at the new seminary in Ponsonby Auckland.

The statue was a significant personal touchstone for me when I was a student. I liked the way that Jesus was headed out into the world, perhaps knowing as I did that he was free to put down the cross if he chose. But he kept carrying the cross, even to the death that was the pathway to abundant life.

That’s the reason that I am still on this road a few decades later, not because I like suffering, but because I am more convinced than ever that any worthwhile goal is reached only by a journey that involves taking up a cross.

What we realise very quickly on this journey is that our greatest human desire is not to be free of suffering and pain, but to live whatever reality is present in the great company of those who understand that the cross is not an end but the method, and that the desire for this life transforms every fear.

An Invitation:

“I have put before you
life and death.
Choose life.”

1. To live whatever reality is present! A good reflection for me today. Thank you Fr John for making the time to be with us again, for we the laity need your spiritual care too.
    Blessings and good health.

• And so say all of us!

2. Good morning…from Parker, Colorado…a suburb of Denver…nestled against the Rocky Mountains. Up here in this hemisphere I am looking out my office window at a blazingly beautiful day…deep blue sky…few clouds…and it’s too cold outside to even begin to melt the new fallen snow.
    As we would say about you, ‘down under,’ I slightly envy the fact that your summer is in full swing. But our summer will be here before we know it.
    My “Kingdom role,” up here is as a leadership mentor. I’ve a degree from Denver Seminary in counseling…….but…not to be a pastor (…though ordained…), or a licensed counselor…but to be a “whole-person leadership mentor.”
    Deep, spiritual, and even therapeutic counseling is needed for the many who struggle with all kinds of issues. Sacred, remedial counseling care if of tremendous, needed value.
    But what I recognized in my theological and spiritual studies from Denver Seminary is that more was needed in helping to form a life ahead of traumatic issues that eventually show up in even the best of well-formed lives. How do we care for, counsel, nurture one’s soul to live a whole, forward-moving life ahead of life’s trauma’s, small or large…and ahead of the opportunities that may come one’s way that will use the gifts with which one has been sacredly endowed to reflect our Triune God’s love, grace and goodness…as we live our lives in God’s direction.
    The food for faith that you send out from New Zealand is something I encourage leaders to tap into, and sign up for. Thank you for your faithfulness!!! And may all of you there be comforted, nurtured and encouraged that what you are about is deeply welcomed way up here.
    If ever any of you plan a trip to the United States, it would be a deep joy to host you here in Colorado. And if you come during our summer, what a sacred delight it would be to take you up into one of our huge, major national parks here in Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park, to the “…four places where God lives…” But then…that’s a beautiful story for another time.
    Again………..thank you for all of your faith-filled food. Prayers go “up” from here for you all “down” there. May blessings abundant be daily showering all of you!!!

3. Thanks for this reflection father. It really speaks to what God has been enlightening me with.

4. Thankyou Fr John! I really needed that today.
    Thankyou too, for providing us with these Lenten reflections again. Really helps to keep me “on track”.
    God bless you.

5. The cross, symbol of (Roman) power, oppression, and slavery… reflection on the cross… we are not in the power, oppression, or slavery in this world of sin. Taken up daily we embrace freedom.

• Thanks, that speaks to me.

6. Thank you Father for your enrichment on my journey

7. Good mrng Father, you have a gift with words and painting a very vivid picture, so fortunate you are taking the time once again to lead us in prayer, bless you.

8. John
    Thank you for the new series – and the reminder that we are crossbearers in the midst of a supportive community of similar crossbearers!
    John

9. I came across a saying which I have transferred to my new diary every year for the last 10 or more years: “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass – it is about learning to dance in the rain”

• Love it Barbara. Thanks for sharing.

10. Hi John

Glad you are back – it had not thought enough before that Jesus was free to put the cross down if he chose to (not my will but thine be done?). In one literal sense that was not an option under Roman law once sentence had been passed – but he did deliberately choose a path that led inevitably to Golgotha. Freedom is a very interesting thread for me.

God bless you and your readers John

11. Thank you Father John for your reflections. You have a knack of striking a very good spiritual spot. You are indeed a great man to be part of the formation of our young men aspiring to be Priests in our Church. I love the quote of dancing in the rain, Barbara

12. Jesus is role modelling – the constant choose life . A purpose and a way to make choices that continuing work through our own humanity and our purpose in life . Thank you Fr John . A great reflection in own personal journey.

13. Thank you Father John for sharing your inspiring reflections. It is so helpful to have you gently guiding us through this Lenten season. Blessings Mary

14. Thank you Fr. John for keeping us on track. Blessings and prayers for you on your new journey in Auckland.

15. Fr John, thanks you! I love these sessions! So wonderful to be able to reflect on so many wise and thoughtful comments. Taking that step, choosing life – Barbara’s comments remind me also of ‘John Shedd’s words “Ships are safe in harbours – but that is not what they are built for’

Ascension

Ascension

Most people think of the Ascension of Jesus as being a ‘departure’ moment. Jesus was here and now he is gone. We imagine Jesus going up into the clouds and the disciples waving farewell from below.
This is an unhelpful image.
It is essential that we understand what does happen and what does not happen in the Ascension event.
It would be easy to wrongly think that in his ministry showed us how to build the city of God on earth, and now he has gone and the mission is left to us.

touching the sacred

touching the sacred

A few years ago I was on Rēkohu Chatham Islands for what has become one of Aotearoa New Zealand’s most sacred days, the ANZAC day of remembrance in gratitude for those who gave their lives, their health, their youth, their service that we may live in peace.
The art above was produced by one of the students at the local Te One school.

every which way

every which way

A good number of Food For Faith readers have discovered one of the more recent FFF initiatives, the weekly Homily Studio.
The recording of this half-hour podcast is one of the highlights of my week.

in the room

in the room

Today’s reflection marks the end of the FFF Lent-to-Easter daily email posts. Thank you for your company on this journey.  While these daily posts (for those who have signed up for the Lent / Advent reflections at this link) will take a break until Advent, those who have signed up to receive every post or regular posts at this link.  You might take a moment now to visit this page now to check your email preferences.

During retreat this week I found myself pondering just how difficult it is to accept that God, in Jesus, is really with me today.

disciplined discipleship

disciplined discipleship

As I write I’m nearing the end of retreat days with a group of fifty priests from across the USA.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago the diversity and youth of the group is remarkable with the majority being aged under 40 and a good number ordained for fewer than five years.