opening the door

Mar 8, 2020

The Mount of the Transfiguration is not too far from the Sea of Galilee. From every direction it rises distinctively from the plain landscape as a solitary hill.

In a similar way, the gospel account of the Transfiguration of Jesus rises up as if from nowhere in the Gospels and for this Second Sunday of Lent. We have Jesus preaching, teaching and performing miracles that have an effect on some but not on others, then, all of a sudden Jesus is speaking with the Old Testament prophets Moses and Elijah and his clothes become “dazzlingly white, whiter than any earthly bleacher could make them”.

Our contemporary and pragmatic minds might prefer to dismiss the Transfiguration of Jesus as a bit of unnecessary magic. We need to dismiss such a pragmatic response.

The Transfiguration of Jesus is the event that opens the door between earthly ordinariness, days and weeks of routine, mundane and struggling existence, and divine eternity. In this moment Peter, James and John got a taste of something more; so much so that they could not even put it into words and did not speak of the event when they went down the mountain.

This is what happens every time we pray. The door between heaven and earth is thrown open by God. We express our struggle and our sin and God pours grace onto and into us. In prayer we are taking time to savour our participation in the divine life of God.

After even a moment of prayer we are not the same people. Like Peter James and John we struggle to put this into words. We are not even really sure what has happened since the real work of prayer is at a level deeper than our usual superficial way of living.

Prayer changes us. We are different, and because of this, even though we then move into the same reality and relationships, every moment is changed.

Such tastes of heaven enables us to live abundantly in every earthly situation.

An Invitation:

• In the scriptures and in the lives of holy men and women throughout history the depths of human despair are the opportunity to enter the heights of personal relationship with God, and the mountain-top experiences are an encouragement to live more deeply. How have you experienced this in your life in the past week.

1. An interesting aspect of this gospel is that Jesus himself needed to have that contact with God to reassure himself of his mission. This especially as he was on the way to “Jerusalem” and his suffering and death.

• That was exactly my thought when I stood on top of Mount Tabor some years ago. His Transfiguration was God’s awesome response.
      Deo Gratias

2. We all need to be reassured of are mission

3. The disciples who witnessed the Transfiguration wanted to stay on the mountain and build shrines, Jesus, though knew he had to take the experience down to the plains.. There is a powerful teaching in that also.

• Yes, absolutely, and that is our mission now, to take that revelation of faith and love we hold back down into the world and reclaim our church from the lofty pedestals we have created.

4. I believe the ‘Mount of the Transfiguration’ is an integral part of my existence … God is imminent and his integral love and life within me is heaven on earth. +

5. Prayer opens the door between Heaven and Earth, by God.
    Think I feel my Spirit jumping for joy.

6. This reflection and its description stretches ones heart, encourages to take time to reflect, time alone with the Divine. Take courage to withdraw from the busyness of the day. This is where things are happening – openning door.

7. thetwo paragraphs starting transfiguration ending divine life of god
    spoke volumes to me thank you i related to them
    i live for the time for my transfiguration and i pray lots and lot
    will be with me the good lord keep you well

8. God knows everything. HIS Grace is with me everyday when I pray to HIM because I want to have an intimate relationship with HIM.

moving ahead

moving ahead

The discipline of daily writing keeps me alert to the presence and action of Jesus in my life every day.

the seekers

the seekers

If the Magi had settled for seeking creature comforts, they would never have encountered the Lord.

truth seeking

truth seeking

A faith that is deeply rooted in friendship with Christ is adult and mature. It is this friendship that opens us up to all that is good

a conversation

a conversation

a podcast conversation between Siân Owen RSJ, Merv Duffy SM & John O’Connor

the blessing

the blessing

Nothing can take this peace from believers. Indeed, sufferings do not undermine but build up our hope,