what wondrous love

Sep 16, 2021

“I tell you that her sins,
her many sins,
must have been forgiven her,
or she would not have shown
such great love.”  Luke 8:1-3

Some days the words don’t come easily for me, but perhaps that is because the message in the scriptures is so clear that I (and maybe you too) don’t need more words.

As I pray with today’s gospel reading I am reminded of a beautiful Quaker hymn from the American South: What Wondrous Love is this.

I’m taking this as my prayer for the day.

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul?
What wondrous love is this, O my soul?
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
to bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
to bear the dreadful curse for my soul?

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
when I was sinking down, sinking down,
when I was sinking down beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside his crown for my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside his crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing,
to God and to the Lamb I will sing,
to God and to the Lamb who is the great I Am,
while millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
while millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
and when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on,
and when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be,
and through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
and through eternity I’ll sing on.

1. Wonderful indeed, John

Love in vulnerability

2. Fr John what a beautiful meditative piece. Thank you for this
    Fred

• Gracious God, grant that I may know my final days, hours and minutes. May I prepare myself well for that time, beginning now. May my senses, my companions, my actions and lived and thought prayers lead me to your eternal company. (Bernini’s St Teresa of Avila needs no words).

• Oh what Wondrous love ! So beautiful and comforting thank you Fr John

3. Perfect reflection and song. Amen

4. Fr John. Thank you for these daily reflections. I look out for them as I am sure many others do.
    Just an idea ….. would it be possible to provide a link to the daily readings at the top of your reflection so we can read that first and possibly make an even better connection to your reflection.

5. What a beautiful hymn. Loved the melody, and the newer words. Just beautiful, replaying it. Who is the singer please?

6. Thank you ! That song is sooo moving reflective and beautiful…..

a friend within

a friend within

Let’s learn both from Anton’s life and from John’s reflection to seek more passionately the ultimate relationship

a thin place

a thin place

Awareness of Thin Places has become a sabbatical theme for me.

Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi

Orvieto is a beautiful Italian hill-top settlement where all roads lead to the magnificent medieval Cathedral.

growing young

growing young

A simple experiment will give a more personal experience of the life that is on offer.