just practicing

May 9, 2022

Something a bit different today, my homily from yesterday, Good Shepherd Sunday,

It was a pleasure to celebrate Mass for the people of Timaru at the Church of St.Thomas the Apostle where I was ordained.

If I were to give this Good Shepherd Sunday homily a title it would be “just practicing.”   You’ll understand the title when you listen.

1. Thank you Father John. To hear you preach on what is in my heart moved me so much. I want to be in eternity with all those I love who are wonderful Catholics who don’t come to church for a variety of reasons. But I belong to God! And I love the Mass.

• Dear Father John
      I have just listened to your Good Shepherd Sunday, and anniversary homily. Your words concerning practising Catholics warmed my heart and mind and soul. In the past, 35 years ago, family members were refused baptism of their 2nd child as they weren’t practising Catholics. as you described those that attended mass on Sunday.
      I have another friend with a very strong faith but who struggles with some of the churches teachings and choses not to attend Sunday mass, I am going to forward your homily to her as know it will be an encouragement. Go Bless

2. Thank you Fr John for publishing this homily . A light came on after listening that those I love, freinds and family, and not going to Mass are really and truly following their faith in actions of great love and charity. Your words brought a feeling of solice and peace.

3. Thank you I thoroughly enjoyed this as this is how I feel and get great comfort and peace.

4. John, thanks for binging me back to the “Good News” !

• Thank you. Good news indeed expressed in such an understandable way

5. Thank you Father John, it really touched my heart. I have family members that don’t go to church but I know they still beleive. Your words have given me peace and love.

6. What a life giving homily. Fr John, your ‘definition’ of practising Catholics was so encouraging. People matter, not rules & regulations. Your nostalgia about your ordination and what priesthood means to you was very uplifting. May your ‘down to earth’ shepherding continue for many years to come. You are certainly following Pope Francis’ call ‘to smell the sheep’. Blessings!

Your email address will not be published.

what’s the story

what’s the story

We walked into the Speight’s Bar where we found a quiet spot and picked up our pints

housekeeping

housekeeping

People often ask how I go about preparing these reflections and are surprised to learn that I don’t spend much time at the computer

lest we forget

lest we forget

Thank you to FFF readers sharing their experience of Jesus in their lives through this Lent – Easter journey.

what’s the point ?

what’s the point ?

I have spent the past few Easter Octave days with an inspiring group, people of all ages, mostly aged 30’s & 40’s, full of enthusiasm

leadership

leadership

Even the best things that life on earth can give us are not enough to satisfy the depth of desire we feel.